Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Haven't Hit Pine and other Thankgivings






Ava turned two last week. I am now officially the mother of a toddler. She is a walking and talking child. She comes up with ideas on her own...She calls cheerios "bubble crackers", her diaper her "bopper" and is now potty training her baby dolly. She currently is still wearing a bopper and I'm hoping she will want to potty train herself in the process.


Ava was born on Thanksgiving Monday. So her birthday is meaningful in turkey and pumpkin pie proportions. Last year we celebrated with our good friend Edward in Kelowna. This year it was Lac La Biche with Ben's parents and it was awesome. After the dinner, pie, gift opening, and gorgeous walks, we went to church. I have included pics of our weekend (mostly of Ava, because I'm the photographer...)


The Free EV church in LLB has gotten a new pastor and he is awesome. Appropriately, the sermon on Sunday was about thankgiving. Paster Chiwele was born in Kenya, and has worked in the US for many years. He is in his mid 40s with a wicked sense of humour. He is funny and charismatic, and his sermons are memorable as they are sprinkled with anectodes of his previous postings and experiences. He now preaches to a northern Albertan conservative, non hand waving crowd. He told us that in some of the "black churches" that he has preached at in the states, people are thank----FUL for small things (hes medium height, arms out, black with a slight accent, looking directly at you). "These people in some inner city areas are just thankful to wake up in the morning because they haven't been shot. They are thankful that they woke up. In fact I have one friend that is thankful to God each morning when he wakes up and stretches his arms back. Why? Because his elbows haven't hit pine."


I've listed a lot of thankgsivings over the years. But I've never been as specific as that. With all the things that keep my mind whirling and stressed, I think I need to refocus sometimes. I need to be more specific with God.


I'm thankful today because we heard the baby's heartbeat! As Dr. Lundgard put it, checking for a fetal heart rate is like trying to catch little fish in an aquarium blindfolded. She found the fish and its beating at 150 bpm. I think its a girl.


I hope you all had a Thankful weekend!


Briar





1 comment:

Briar said...

Thanks! I've never blogged before - I'm a closet blog reader, so I thought I should post. Otherwise I tend to blog on people's comment boards. I'm glad you saw Cheya - you will have to fill me in!

Talk soon!

Love B