We started a new series at First Baptist Church in Peace River. Its called The Truth Project and it is run through Focus on the Family. We have gone to two sessions, and on Sunday night we covered Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Now Maslow's is really familiar to Ben and I both being in social healthcare model. Take any first year psych course and it really is the basis. Start out with physiological needs and move up the triangle to self-actualization. Pretty basic stuff, and being an OT, kind of a given to many of my models of practice.
Well we moved into lesson 3 - Anthropology: Who is Man? I I felt pretty cocky going in. I know these theories, I'm university educated. Well Dr. Del Tackett approached these theories in a very different way - biblically. And it really threw me for a loop. We had 9 people at our table. A physician, Ben and I, a Social Worker (who has just graduated and has lived on Maslow's for 4 years), and a few others. And we all started questioning what we had been taught as a basis for years. We talked and talked, debated and talked some more. Ben is more spiritually deep than he likes to admit. All in a non confrontational, very high level of thought way. It was amazing - I felt that I was using my brain again after many long lost nights of child rearing. And I loved it. For many years, I have felt that I have hung my hat on the Christian World View, but I can't always defend my viewpoint. I feel that I sometimes flounder. I know that being a christian is more important than potluck lunches, and being good to our neighbours. Yet how to sum this up, still retain my cognition, and feel that I can take this worldview into my place of work and not shelve it until next Sunday? I think the Truth Project will walk me towards that place.
The Truth Project is awesome. Its not a swallow whole program, but it stimulates our conversation. Next week the topic is Who is God. Stay tuned. I may be smarter.
Momistory
-
I decided last year, using the advice of inimitable Oprah, Rob Bell (An
Anatomy of Restlessness) and a few insightful colleagues to: "be Mandy" and
"to f...
7 years ago
1 comment:
Greetings from Scotland! I am at the Kingshouse Hotel in Glencoe and it's very nice. We did another 12 miles today. Only 8 more tomorrow and then 14 miles on the final day. I am holding up well much to my surprise considering all the beer and whiskey and haggis I've consumed over the past few days. It has amazed me how quickly I've lost all my standards... well the fireplace is calling, so I must go and join the rest of the girls and have a drink.
Talk to you later
Jen
Post a Comment