Okay so today was the day of reckoning. Today was PUMPKIN DAY at my school. Because I am an occupational therapist - one who teaches people of all ages and stages how to become independent in their occupation while adapting to their disability - I must promote independence regardless of the scary outcomes that come into my adult brain.
So. What do ALL kids like to do around the end of October? Carve pumpkins. And what did my colleague eagerly convince me every child should should learn at the age of 3 and up regardless of eye hand coordination problems? Use a knife. Yes. A knife. I have a toddler. I was embarrased to say to Kathy, no, I have never given Ava a knife. To carve her own pumpkin. She says "Not herself...Hand over hand!" So, because I am the aforementioned occupational therapist that has been preaching to every teacher and parent around that YES, children should learn independence, I armed myself with my camera, 17 pumpkins (in the back of the van), cookie dough (for the kids that cut off appendenages and need a snack in the waiting room of the ER), dull and sharp carving implements, and blind faith in Kathy, my fearless colleague who has been a special education teacher for a long time, and with experiences I can only imagine (I should note, she was unable to attend). It should be noted, that I did buy 17 pumpkins with my toddler at the Co-Op yesterday. Two carts of pumpkins which Ava was clearly delighted in.
I also have 2 OT students from the University who are just learning the fine art of pediatrics. Don't wear good clothes, bring bandaides and a snack, and make sure your sense of humour is readily available.
So at the end of the day, we had painted pumpkins, carved pumpkins, pumpkin seeds on every surface of my kind and patient teacher's class, chocolately cookies, and some very tired kids. I was so proud of everyone - staff and students. They showed great delight in the art of pumpkin gut removal. Much fun was had. No appendages were removed or even slightly sliced (we stuck to dull pumpkin carving implements which I highly recommend), and I, was humbled. You can teach preschoolers how to cut with a knife. And we should. They will need to have this skill when they are older.
Momistory
-
I decided last year, using the advice of inimitable Oprah, Rob Bell (An
Anatomy of Restlessness) and a few insightful colleagues to: "be Mandy" and
"to f...
7 years ago
1 comment:
I'm glad the pumpkins went well. Very brave of you to attempt such an activity.
Urgh, I don't feel well at all. I managed to get into work today, but I'm struggling to stay up right. I think I picked up some horrible Scottish flu--maybe Ben should be on alert as I'm probably the point of entry person...stomach pains, digestive tract upset, headache, body ache--my hair hurts...10 more minutes and I can go home and curl up in a ball...
Jen
Post a Comment